Tuesday, 28 February 2012

Yayoi Kusama.

I went to the Yayoi Kusama exhibition a couple of weeks ago which was at the Tate Modern and although I felt it started a little slow (or maybe because it was so busy I was going at an extremely slow and impatient pace!!), it is definitely worth a visit! It is running up until 5th June 2012, so go if you can!
I found the life of Yayoi Kusama (born in 1929) very interesting, especially when I had read that she voluntarily admitted herself into hospital in 1977. Upon seeing her work, I could really see an obsession with spots and pattern in general, many very simple but beautiful. There were two rooms in particular that made the visit very worthwhile. The first was a living area, with a television, sofa and table with cutlery...there was fluorescent lighting and everything was covered in multicoloured spots! It looked amazing and I can't even think about how long it may have taken to apply them all! Unfortunately, photography was forbidden but I found a photo online!

Again,a photo issue with my most favourite room of all but I snapped this photo on the wall outside the exhibition of Yayoi herself sitting in the room. It's a small room but completely covered in mirrors and small hanging bulbs that changed colour ...but everything looked like it was times-a-million because of the reflections. There was also water on the floor which magnified the reflective qualities of everything. This room was just magical, although slightly claustrophobic!
I think I'd like to go one more time when it is less busy as I'm sure I missed a few things because there were just herds of people around everything! ...but it's definitely worth going even if it is just to experience the two end rooms.
Post a Comment